Skip to main content

My Father's Legacy: A Seiko 6139-7060


Enduring the Test of Time


     I cannot remember the first time my father wear that watch. All I knew then was that its big and bulky considering that I was just a child back then. I don't know anything about watches, my father never told me anything about it. If they had just one edc item to bring it would be this.




     While I was in teenage years they gave me a Seiko 5 with a gold dial as a gift. I was not familiar with watches and their cultural significance. I just wear it everyday in order to keep track of time. I still have it today but the dial rotates occasionally in any direction while wearing it. Maybe I'll have it restored when the time comes. 


     During the college days I got myself a Citizen Eagle 7. This one is still running well though has many scratches because of daily wear and tear. 


     By the time I was working I was into quartz wrist watches. When my father died back in 2004 I forgot everything about automatic watches. I didn't saw anything that reminded me of automatic watches, until 2017. There was a time when my quartz' cell finally gave up and I really need a watch. I remembered my Citizen and luckily with just a few shakes it started running again. Then after some time that big and bulky Seiko came across my mind, maybe its not that big and bulky in my wrist anymore. 


     I didn't knew what it was but with the help of internet I researched the numbers on its back and what a surprise! The 6139-7060 came with the name Blue Eye. The movement is 6139B , produced in May 1977, and has 17 jewels. It has a tapered H-link bracelet. The upper and lower buttons for the chronograph are not working anymore and the crown was replaced. Corrosion is fairly visible on the dial and all the hands. No more lumes or number indicators except the date. But it doesn't matter, because with just one shake and it started running too! 


     Indeed this Seiko truly endured the test of time. Maybe this one with me has less functionality than before but it doesn't mean that the value lessened. It still tells time correctly and the day/date is working too. Its elevated status to collector's item is a big plus. But the most important thing is that the memory of my father will always be with me. This is the type of watch that I will pass down to the next generation and hopefully will become a tradition. 


     If you are looking for a pure automatic watch with flair and a force to be reckoned with then this elegant and stunning Seiko Prospex SRPC93 SAVE THE OCEAN Samurai Diving Mens Watch definitely fits your style. Just take good care of it and it will definitely lasts for generations. 



Click image to check it out on Amazon 


     If you are looking for a gift for your younger ones so that you can instill on them the value of time then this Seiko Men's SNK805 Seiko 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Green Canvas is a good one to start with. 


Click image to check it out on Amazon 










Comments